Saturday, September 12, 2009

Yataaaa!

No human thing is of serious importance.
-Plato
Welcome to the weekend, true believers!

Wednesday was a pretty good day. I had been reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein before I went to bed each night, but was going to bed at hours where I was reading 7-10 pages before falling asleep. I got about ninety pages into it and decided I needed to be finished, it being a relatively short book, so I spent the first few hours of my day in this way. I really enjoyed the book, though about half of each page was spent explaining how miserable characters were, so only so much narrative actually went on and at a dreadful pace. It's pretty interesting how different the movies the movies became from the source material. I made sure to wash, dry and iron my interview suit. Prepared for battle.

I made turkey baja burgers for dinner with homemade potato wedges for dinner. Ultimately, a great experiment. Served the burgers on sourdough english muffins which was a great alternative to buns. They're a little healthier and the flavor is better.

Thursday was great. Battle stance from minute one. Shower, shave, shirt and shoes, prepared to go. Left early, to great benefit, as the interview got moved up a half hour the morning of. I came prepared with resume and reference letter, which impressed. My interviewer seemed more nervous than I did, and ultimately, I landed the job! The pay isn't great, and the hours are too few. Regardless, pay is pay, and the experience in the industry will give me a chance to meet some people that might be useful in the long term. Moving on, I filled out applications and left resumes on file with four grills and bars in the area immediately surrounding the Bungalow. I'm really hoping to hear back from one of them, and will do some follow up calls this week.

Feeling pretty accomplished on Friday, having landed a new job and feeling good about my opportunities, I spent the day relaxing. (Ok, I probably haven't earned it as thoroughly as I could have, shh). I watched the second season of Chuck on Hulu, did some writing and spent a few hours in the kitchen. Spanish flank steak came out good, though the lime drizzle was not a good flavor for some. I made Chicken Tortilla Soup from scratch, and while it was too spicy for Sam, I think it came out great. The kidlet only ate the chicken out of it, but he's a midwestern child... complex flavor isn't really part of the tradition out here.

Adjacently Related Thought: Children remain the world's best birth control. Particularly, other people's children. My family's children I actually like. There's some primally vested interest in them, and they're annoying, but in a way that's endearing. Other people's children fall into one of three categories: jumping around, making noise, or asleep. Will points out, astutely, that this can be expanded to function for the majority of man kind. I shunt this observation from my memory, because I cannot wrestle with the ensuing desire to strangle just about everyone.

In the land of other people's children, the sound-cancelling headphone reigns supreme!

No comments: