Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Another Day, Another Dollar

Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives.
-William Dement

This weekend was a pleasant double work weekend. I had the pleasure of waking up, going in and spending the majority of both days at work, and read something like 500 pages in the process. Also, managed to sell a few pieces of furniture that the boss has been trying to get rid of for a while. Unfortunately, I ended up buying lunch and dinner on Saturday... spent more money than I wanted to in the process of working a shift that pays less than I'd like. Too big a percentage went down the drain but I've made sure that the menu for this week includes portions large enough for lunches/leftovers.

Sunday, Steph made a Thai Green Curry and a whole mess of rice. It smelled great, and had a good taste, but is missing something. Monday night I adopted a new recipe for Pollock with Eggplant for Chicken. The chicken took longer to cook, but the eggplant came out great and tender. Unfortunately, the unexpected longer cooking time of the chicken screwed up my time table and the pasta was cold by the time the chicken and eggplant were well done, and you shouldn't have to get a microwave involved the first time you serve a meal.

Tuesday I drove an hour into a nearby city called Seymour. There's a church in Seymour that's looking for a cook to feed their kids during their daycare program. I came in, was given a brief tour, filled out my application, and should hear back in a few weeks. On my way into the city, I also saw that the local applebees was hiring and, despite the distance, went in to apply. They told me to come back two hours later... Conundrum. Forget the opportunity, go home and immediately turn around, or do something stupid for two hours. I chose the latter, and slept in my car for an hour and then caught up with Crystal on the phone. I went in and applied, spoke with the manager, and got past her as a screener. Tomorrow night, her boss will go through the applications and I should hear something within a week. Hopefully, it's something good.

Today I went to the gym. Ran for an hour, lifted for half, came home, had a big, healthy lunch and then... the dogs got out. Full stomach, exhausted legs and I had to sprint three blocks to go capture them. Luckily, as soon as they got eye contact and heard my voice they followed me home, but it made my stomach lurch. Steph went grocery shopping, and got back around sevenish. Unfortunately, with brisket on the menu tonight (a four hour event) and fresh focaccia bread to boot, we're eating leftovers because dinner won't be one until two hours after writing this... that is to say, eleven PM.

Tomorrow: Rock Bottom Brewery, preparing Chicken Cordon Bleu and Spinach and Rice Soup, and getting Drywall!

No comments: