Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Series of Things

Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.
-George Burns


I fell asleep Thursday night to the sound of whining, screaming or crying children. I woke up to the same. So, I left for the Gym first thing. Now, when I left Sam was here. When I returned, she was not. At first , I didn't consider this important and went upstairs to do something that involved wearing headphones and not listening to children. Evidently, they had been served a lunch of bologna sandwiches, barbecue potato chips and a casserole made of egg noodles and cheddar cheese. A good 30% of this was in the rug when I came home, and this also helped to keep me upstairs.

We had plans to go grocery shopping Friday afternoon, and I expected Steph home to take Sam to work at about 3. This did not happen. As a matter of fact, I was only apprised of the full details of the situation at 7:30 when Steph came home and explained that Sam had gone to the hospital for a heart flutter and was being kept their overnight. Not having the ingredients to make anything, I went down the street and bought two slices of pizza, saving the one or two frozen meals for the next night, as I expected to come home late.

I got up early Saturday to be at the Bungalow at 9:45. I ended up arriving about 30 minutes before, got a cup of coffee and read my book in the parking lot. One of the guys at the coffee shop informed me that the owner of the Colts also owns the original manuscript for On The Road (which I was reading at the time), which is called The Scroll, and is a scrapped together single roll of papers on which Kerouac wrote the book from start to finish.

The job itself seems to be the easiest I've ever had. Jenny takes a relaxed approach to floor sales that makes it very relaxed, the store has a constantly influx of new items to inspect, and very little that needs constant cleaning, unlike Cedar Hill. I also found out that it is not, as I previously thought, one thirteen-hour day per week, but both days on the weekend for a total of thirteen hours. Saturday, 10-6, Sunday 12-5. This is nice because it gives me something to do both days :) I also found out that day that Jerry thought and D&D was Saturday and had to ask Jenny to give him a call as he would have arrived at an empty house sorely dissapointed. The day went well, I enjoyed my co-workers and enjoyed a sunset drive home.

Sunday morning I slept in, showered, and immediately started cooking. I started with Bacon Cheese PullAparts, which are a classic, then proceeded to make a big platter of Banana Pancakes and Blueberry Pancakes, which are very difficult to make without a proper skillet. They all tasted good, but looked silly and were frequently a bit overdone. Followed next by a fruit platter with a strawberry fluff dip, and finished up with Caribbean Cruise Stuffed French Toast which. are. awesome.

The game itself was fun. Everyone in the group is less experienced than I, so there was a bit of a conflict between my character, who is a man of little words, and me, helping the other players master their characters. Ultimately, everyone enjoyed themselves and based off how many people have already sent back their character updates they're pretty into it.

Apparently most of the players are broken in some form of another. Chris recently had some serious surgery, Jess was feeling sick and almost didn't come, Freita struggled with a headache and there was some complex, clandestine pharmaceutical interaction that ultimately lead to half the party enjoying a pain killer of one kind or another, and the other half enjoying booze. The last fight moved slowly, but was a great deal of fun.

The alarm clock seemed to turn itself off for Monday, and I slept til 11:30. I worked to get my room more organized... it's a small space, and there is stuff, so I need to figure out how to make the two cooperate. I did some research, and started reading Neuromancer, which is next on my list. I had written a cover letter to a Veterinary Office in Seymour regarding a Clerical position, but whe I went to attach my resume and reference letters, it got stuck in an infinite loop and the browser lost the cover letter I had written in the body of the e-mail. I had to do it again later that night, but ultimately got the application in. While Sam was at work and Steph was in the basement I went to play Force Unleashed. I haven't played in two weeks, because during the day Zion was playing constantly or Sam was watching TV. I wouldn't want to interrupt Zion's gameplay, nor Sam's TV watching... even though she doesn't pay much attention to what's on the screen. If I watch TV, I watch it on Hulu now, because it's replayable and because Sam likes to watch bad tv. She likes Ghost Whisperer, A Haunting, Eureka, Warehouse 13, Ghost Hunters, and Destination Truth, most of which are... bad. B+ at best. She dislikes House, Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Royal Pains and Glee (despite having worked as a caberet singer.) Oh, she also hates The Office. K... Luckily, they have a DVR. Which is fine until the DVR can't multitune to all the programs on a Monday Premiere Night and drops the two hour House Premiere and BBT.

I've decided that when we finish the basement (the floor is done, yay) I'm going to forego an alarm clock and simply have a 2-4 cup coffee machine with a timer right next to my bed. I'll use the sweet smell to awaken me rather than the inauspicious vibrations of my phone.

No comments: